Why it’s Important to Mulch Every Year
If you have mulched beds or trees on your property, it is important that they have sufficient, properly applied mulch because, in addition to the polished look it gives to your landscape, mulch is one of the keys to growing healthy, beautiful, thriving plants, flowers, shrubs, and trees. Because traditional mulch breaks down over the course of a year, it is vital to re-apply it annually, and spring is a prime time to do so.
Benefits of Mulch
Mulch does so much more than creating a picturesque landscape. In fact, the unseen benefits may outweigh the observable. If applied correctly each year, mulch provides significant assistance to the plants it surrounds:
• Reduces surface water evaporation from the soil
• Prevents soil erosion during extreme weather conditions
• Improves water penetration and air movement
• Moderates soil temperature changes-keeping soil cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
• Protects shallow-root plants from freeze damage or intense sun damage
• Discourages weed growth
• Decomposes to provide soil and plants with essential nutrients
• Provides “natural” habitat for trees and shrubs
• Makes weed removal easier-if they appear, they’ll have shallow roots
When and How to Mulch
Spring is a great time to re-apply mulch for several reasons. Harsh winter weather is over, mulch has broken down significantly over the fall and winter, and typically, this is time of year when we begin weeding, planting new vegetation, and cleaning up the landscaped areas of our property.
Mulch will be most effective when beds and plant bases are first cleared of weeds, leaves, and grass. With spring in full bloom, it is likely that you’ll need to do some clearing out first. Secondly, it is generally recommended that you replace mulch if its thickness is less than 1 inch. If your current mulch has weathered a summer, fall, and winter, it is likely to have thinned considerably due to decomposition and harsh weather. Finally, if you’re working on sprucing up your landscape for spring and summer, a new layer of beautiful mulch will put the finishing touch on all your hard work.
Bulk Delivery available for the following items:
• Mulch – variety of colors including Dark Brown, Black, Red, Gold, Natural, Western Red Cedar
• Pulverized Black Dirt
• Garden Topsoil
Western Red Cedar Mulch
Dark Brown Mulch
Pulverized Black Dirt